Tips to Keep Your Dog Safe During the Holidays
December 13th, 2019 by Marlene Ring
Every year my home is ‘over the top’ decorated for the Holidays!!
The big QUESTION is: Is my house safe for my dogs?
Here are a Few Tips to Keep them Safe
Many years ago I had an adolescent Golden Retriever, he pulled the Christmas Tree over onto himself.
At this point I wasn’t concerned about many broken ornaments…my concern was my wonderful dog being traumatized.
He was fine, he moved very quickly and was only hit by part of the tree.
My tree is secured with a screw that has been placed on the side of my fireplace.
I also have other trees secured to air vents and curtain rods.
No one knows except me.
Do you think they look like a ball to your retriever? Yes, it does!
The problem is the dog ingesting it, and ingesting things like ribbons, gift wrap, tree lights, or even chewing on those extra electrical cords we have everywhere during the holidays.
Remember one emergency trip to the veterinarian can ruin the Holiday Fun!
The smells are just too tempting to your dog.
Leave the leftovers for the humans
Caution guests about feeding your dog scraps from the table.
See my Blog on 8 Holiday Foods That are Dangerous for Your Dog
Also don’t let Fido eat all of his treats or gifts on the same day.
Save some until later.
Another idea is to put a play pen fence around the tree.
Holidays can be hectic.
Don’t forget to relax and spend quality time with your dog.
Finally, it is a good idea to keep your local veterinary emergency room phone number handy with driving directions to the location.
Be prepared…just in case.